The most important benefit of dressing for success, whether you go to school, work in corporate America, work from home or you are a stay-at-home person, your self-confidence and self-esteem will greatly improve if you take care with the way you dress. Even if you don’t have to impress anyone, you will still benefit, in terms of confidence and self-esteem, from posing yourself for success!
FACT: “If you look good, you’ll feel good about yourself!
The way we dress has remarkable impact on the people we meet professionally or socially and greatly affects how we are treated. Our “fashion statement” is an important element in the very important first impression we make on others.
In most cases the clothes worn are “lifestyle” indicators, suggesting our environment, employment, social status, cultural influence on wardrobe and our attitude about ourselves.
Attention must be given to grooming habits, updating your wardrobe, and cleaning out your closets of all items which aren’t useful to your own fashion image.
FACT: Remember that just because a look or a particular type of clothing is ‘in-style’ that doesn’t mean you should necessarily wear it or that it will look good on you!
The first and most simple steps to dressing for success are to make sure of the following:
- Clothes should be well-fitting, clean, pressed and enhance your figure/body
- Clothes should be free from rips, tears, holes or frayed hems – colors should be coordinated
- Don’t over accessorize. ACCESSORY TRICK: Before you leave your home, look in the mirror and remove one piece of jewelry or accessory!
- Shoes should be clean and polished. No run down heels!
- Blouses, shirts, jackets and cuffs should always be free from ‘ring around the collar’
- Handbags and wallets should be in good condition. Toss that wallet you’ve had for 5 years!
- Save your animal prints for when you are at home
- Very few people can or should wear micro-mini or mini dresses!
- Proper undergarments are a MUST!
- No chipped nail polish or 1” fingernails. Nail polish should be clear or a French manicure. Men’s nails need to be cut short and filed.